The absolute epitome of "barely there beauty" (a trend that was everywhere this season at New York Fashion Week) was the look created by Glamsquad and the Davines North America Pro teams backstage at Erin Fetherston Spring 2017. Focusing on a natural, lived-in look that was free from fussiness or anything remotely high-maintenance, the teams worked with ease channeling Fetherston's own low key attitude as they put together a pretty, and pretty doable at home, look for the show.
Heading up the hair team was lead stylist Joseph DiMaggio who is Master Session Ambassador for Davines North America. He explained his inspiration and thought process for the look he created telling Style Wylde:
“It was such an honor to work with Erin Fetherston this season, not only commemorating her 10th anniversary showing at NYFW, but as the lead hair in this production since I have always been a huge fan of her work. This Spring/Summer 2017 collection was very true to her quintessential style and we wanted the hair to pay homage to that same lightness and ease. I gave the girls undone waves, echoing the effortlessness of a second or third day blowout. I also wanted to play to each girl's different hair textures, and the final result was a bit disheveled, but still cool girl chic. This experience was truly a dream come true, and I could not have been more thankful to take part it in.”
To try your hand at creating DiMaggio's "cool girl chic" look at home follow these steps:
1. Create a center part and apply Davines Your Hair Assistant Blowdry Primer to the root, layering the product onto the hair.
2. Blowdry the hair with your fingers, beginning at the top to smoothen and seal the cuticle.
3. Starting from one side, take vertical sections of the hair and apply Davines More Inside This Is A Dry Texturizer and brush to distribute.
4. Take those vertical sections again and use a ¾ - 1 inch wand to create a back and forth wave – wrapping the hair once in front for a few seconds and then behind.
5. Continue to do this until you reach the ends of the hair, which will be left straighter.
6. Once you’re done working the wand throughout the hair, lightly brush out the top and hand tousle to finish.
All products listed above are available at
Click on any image below to launch light box mode for best viewing.
All images: Cynthia Anderson for Style Wylde.